Did you guys know that carrots are actually bad for rabbits? They’re too high in sugar and can lead to tooth decay and other serious health defects in our furry little friends. So why did Bugs Bunny eat them all the time? Because of Clark Gable, that’s why.
The reference might not seem so obvious to us know, but when Bugs first appeared in theaters over seventy years ago the audience immediately understood that when Bugs ate a carrot and talked with his mouth full; he was parodying Clark Cable in Frank Capra’s It Happened One Night (1934).
It turns out that, according to Friz Freleng’s unpublished memoirs, that It Happened One Night was one the animators favorite films and that at least three characteristics of Bugs Bunny are based on the film. Besides Clark Gable inspiring Bugs’ carrot addiction; his personality was based on Oscar Shapely, a minor character in the film who consistently referred to Gable as Doc. Not only that, the famous Rabbit was named after Bugs Dooley; an imaginary character mentioned in the film.
Sure, It Happened One Night is considered to be one the best romantic comedies of all time, and it might have been directed by Frank Capra, who’s arguably the greatest American film director ever; but this might be one of those rare cases where the parody has outlived the original reference.
Some what related: When Bugs Bunny referred to Elmer Fudd as “Nimrod” he was ironically referencing Nimrod from the book of Genesis who was a mighty hunter. Children growing up with Bugs Bunny (self included) not familiar with the story, grew up thinking that “Nimrod” was an insult of stupidity or incompetence.
Another instance where the parody has outlived the original reference.
I remember as a kid watching Felix the cat they were calling the little sciencey dude Poindexter and I just thought they were insulting him, then when I realized it was his actual name I wondered if maybe the character was old enough to be the reason people associate the word “Poindexter” with derisive slang for geekiness.
(and he totally is)
Holy shit….really though.
wOw so here’s the deal, I did this giveaway before to give some merch from interests past away and the winner didnt contact me back so here it is revamped!! some prizes arent pictured!
ending date to be determined
- wacom bamboo tablet w/ pen (as u can tell i am not an artist)
- cute PruCan artbook
- multiple doujins w/ pairings such as FrUk, Franada, Frain, and Shizaya (DRRR)
- quite a few Hetalia prints
- Full 9 pc Hetalia figure set
- discontinued Greece figurine (Its p much impossible to find these for a reasonable price)
- Hetalia seasons 3 & 4
- Paint it white
- Any manga from my shelf bar very few (I’ll contact you with a list it’s extensive)
- Hetalia volumes 1, 2 & 3
- APH Germany pillow
- Death Note L pillow
- 5 reblogs (1 entry per reblog) and likes don’t count!
- You dont have to be following me but there will be extra prizes if you are (games, hetalia bandannas etc)
- Shipping anywhere
- leave your ask open so I can contact you!!
- you don’t have to take every prize, if you win and you only want some of the stuff just let me know
- 3 winners!
My sister has a bearded dragon and they typically eat crickets, but they’ll eat mice occasionally as well. She bought this mouse a week ago and the first day, the bearded dragon put the mouse in his mouth and the mouse squeaked so he spit it out… and he’s never tried to eat it again! Now they’re friends and the mouse sleeps on his back and head and even moved some wood chips over to where the bearded dragon sleeps so he would have a bed too! It’s so cute.
i want a pet who has a pet!
it’s his familiar
It’s a petpet
I meant to do this awhile ago but I just hit another big interval of followers, so it was the perfect time to have a giveaway! This will be a relatively small and simple giveaway since I don’t have anything cool to give, but I wanted to thank my followers nonetheless.
WHAT YOU COULD WIN:
- (1) one $25 online gift card to either Amazon or JetPens
- (1) one free, full-body, full-color commission of any character/person/etc. you choose (no full backgrounds. Examples: 1 2)
- You must be following me.
- Please do not follow for the giveaway and then unfollow after it’s over. This is meant for my followers.
- No giveaway blogs.
- You can reblog however many times you want, just don’t spam your followers
- Likes do not count.
- If you win, you must be willing to give me your email to receive the gift card.
- I will be using a random number generator to choose the winner.
- Ends March 22nd, 2014 at 10:00 PM Central Time.
Good luck and thank you, followers!